About This Cluster
Arts, AV Technology, and Communications careers encompass designing, producing, exhibiting, performing, writing, and publishing multimedia content including visual and performing arts and design, journalism, and entertainment services.
Skills and Interests
|Active Listening||Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.|
|Reading Comprehension||Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.|
|Critical Thinking||Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.|
|Speaking||Talking to others to convey information effectively.|
|Time Management||Managing one’s own time and the time of others.|
|Judgment and Decision Making||Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.|
|Writing||Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.|
|Active Learning||Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.|
|Complex Problem Solving||Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.|
|Monitoring||Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.|
|Coordination||Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.|
|Artistic||Artistic occupations frequently involve working with forms, designs and patterns. They often require self-expression and the work can be done without following a clear set of rules.|
Northern New York Community Foundation Scholarships
Applications for academic year 2020-2021 Freshman Scholarships will be accepted through Wednesday, April 15, 2020. Applications for academic year 2020-2021 Nontraditional Scholarships are accepted through Monday, June 1, 2020.
Since 1980, the Northern New York Community Foundation has awarded more than $18 million in scholarships to students from Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence counties.
The Community Foundation annually awards scholarships to:
- High school seniors for their freshman year in college or technical school. Full-time enrollment is required for a one-year award.
- High school juniors in St. Lawrence County who will plan to pursue careers in STEM-related fields (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) are encouraged to apply for a one-year award.
- Nontraditional students for any year of college or vocational, trade and technical school are also available. Part-time or full-time enrollment is required, and applicants must live in Jefferson, Lewis or St. Lawrence county. Applicants may reapply each year.
Scholarships, which can average up to $2,000, are available from three programs the Community Foundation administers:
- Northern New York Community Foundation Scholarships — Awarded to students in liberal arts.
- Herring College Memorial Scholarships — Awarded to students in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and related fields.
- Visiting Nurse Association Scholarships — Awarded to students in nursing and health-related fields.
The Community Foundation also stewards more than 300 restricted scholarships through funds that individual donors have established.
Many occupations in this cluster typically require a bachelor’s degree, although specific designations vary. For example, public address system announcers typically need a high school diploma or equivalent and short-term on-the-job training, and art directors typically need a bachelor’s degree and 5 or more years of experience in a related occupation.
Career and Technical Education Programs:
St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES:
Local College / University Majors:
- Liberal Arts & Sciences – Humanities & Social Sciences A.A. – Creative Writing Concentration (Jefferson Community College)
- Liberal Arts & Sciences – Humanities & social sciences A.A – Literature concentration (Jefferson Community College)
- Art History (Syracuse University)
- English and Textual Studies (Syracuse University)
- Fine Arts (Syracuse University)
- Music History and Cultures (Syracuse University)
- Writing and Rhetoric (Syracuse University)
- Art Studio (SUNY Potsdam)
- Graphic Design and New Media (SUNY Potsdam)
- B.F.A. in Creative Writing (SUNY Potsdam)
- Music (SUNY Potsdam)
- Dance (SUNY Potsdam)
- Graphic Design (SUNY Oswego)
- Audio Design and Production minor (SUNY Oswego)
- Theatre (SUNY Oswego)
- Art Major w/Graphic Design Emphasis (SUNY Brockport)
- English (SUNY Brockport)
- Visual Studies (SUNY Brockport)
- Music Business minor (SUNY Brockport)
- Digital Arts and Sciences (Clarkson)
- Visual Communications: Advertising Design (Cazenovia College)
- Fashion Design (Cazenovia College)
- Interior Design (Cazenovia College)
- Web and Interactive Design (Cazenovia College)
- Studio Art (Cazenovia College)
- Illustration and Animation (Cazenovia College)
- Fashion Merchandising (Cazenovia College)
- Commercial Photography (Cazenovia College)
- Game Design and Development (SUNY Canton)
- Graphic and Multimedia Design (SUNY Canton)
- Cinema and Screen Studies (Monroe Community College)
- Commercial Art and Illustration (Monroe Community College)
- Computer Aided Design and Drafting (Monroe Community College)
- Interior Design (Monroe Community College)
- Theater Arts (Monroe Community College)
- Graphic Design (Mohawk Valley Community College)
Earnings and Outlook
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were about 1.8 million jobs in the occupations that are assigned to the arts, audio/video technology, and communications cluster. Median annual wages for these occupations ranged from $24,220 for floral designers to $83,000 for art directors.
BLS projects most job openings in the arts, audio/video technology, and communications cluster to be in occupations assigned to the visual arts pathway, which includes graphic designers. This occupation is projected to have the most job openings in the cluster.
- Journalism and BroadcastingAudio and Video Equipment Technicians
- Performing Arts
- Printing Technology
- Visual Arts