About This Cluster
If you are interested in shaping the future of your city, state and country, the Government and Public Administration Career Cluster may be for you. Though there are some areas that are unique to military service, virtually every occupation can be found within government.
Careers in Government and Public Administration Career Cluster are in a variety of different work environments from “responsible for making and executing public policy,” to “maintaining a strong National Security which encompasses such diverse activities as running a hospital, commanding a tank, programming computers, operating a nuclear reactor, or repairing and maintaining a helicopter” to “serving in embassies, consulates and other diplomatic missions,” to “to “ensuring that governments obtain revenues from businesses and citizens by collecting tax dollars, reviewing tax returns, conducting audits, monitoring taxes payable and collecting overdue tax dollars.” These are four out of the seven areas in this field. Government and Public Administration is a tough field to be in but in return, you get a rewarding career that offers incredible variety, provides plenty of opportunities to pursue the specialties that interest you.
Government & Public Administration. (n.d.). Retrieved November 14, 2016, from https://careertech.org/government
Skills and Interests
- Helpful Traits
- Good With Numbers
- Enjoy Speaking in Public and in Large Groups
- A Good Listener
- Lots of Patience
- Communication Skills
- Good Reasoning Skills
- Skills and Studies
- Example: County Manager
- Reading all kinds of different reports.
- Writing and doing presentations.
- Math and being comfortable with numbers.
- Ability to think through problems.
- Be a Leader.
- Example: County Manager
Northern New York Community Foundation Scholarships
Since 1980, the Foundation has awarded more than $14.5 million dollars in scholarships to students of Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence counties. The Northern New York Community Foundation annually awards scholarships to
- high school seniors for their freshman year in college or technical school (Full-time enrollment required – this is a one year award.)
- and non-traditional students for any year in college or technical school. (Part-time and full-time enrollment available) Applicants must reside in Jefferson, Lewis or St. Lawrence counties – applicants may re-apply each year.
- High school juniors who will be studying STEM related careers (available ONLY to high school juniors in St. Lawrence County – this is a one year award.)
Application packets are available in February each year, and can be downloaded at that time as a PDF (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader ). Application packets will also be available through high school guidance counselors or at the Community Foundation office. Completed packets must be returned to the Foundation by April 1, by mail or hand delivered. They may not be submitted by e-mail.
- A complete listing of all scholarships offered by the Foundation is available here. Applications can be found here.
- All applications must be returned to NNYCF, or postmarked by April 15,2018
- Applications are to be submitted to the NNYCF office as a packet. Please refer to the cover page of the application for "packet" requirements.
- NNYCF offer non-traditional scholarships to students in Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence Counties. However, non-traditional students are individuals who have had a break in their academic studies, or are forced to change careers and are returning to college to pursue and additional degree. High school seniors should NOT be completing a non-traditional application. The application deadline for non-traditional students is June 1, 2018
Career and Technical Education Programs:
St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES:
Local College / University Majors:
- Public Administration (MPA) (Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy @ University of Albany)
- Public Administration (MPA) (Buffalo State)
- Accounting A.A.S. (Jefferson Community College)
- Accounting A.S. (Jefferson Community College)
- Accounting B.S. (SUNY Plattsburgh)
- Accounting (Syracuse University)
- Finance B.S. (SUNY Oswego)
- Finance B.B.A. (SUNY Canton)
- Public Administration and Public Policy (SUNY Cortland)
- Public Administration Studies A.A.S. (Hudson Valley Community College)
- International Relations B.S. (Buffalo State)
- International Relations B.S. (SUNY Geneseo)
- International Relations B.S. (SUNY New Paltz)
- Political Science B.S. (SUNY Albany)
- Political Science B.S. (Buffalo State)
- Political Science B.S. (SUNY Oswego)
- Political Science B.S. (SUNY Potsdam)
- Political Science B.S. (SUNY Stony Brook)
- Chief Executives
- Mean Annual Salary: $185,850
- Mean Annual Salary: $42,530
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Mean Annual Salary: $118,050
- Tax Examiners and Collectors
- Mean Annual Salary: $57,280
- May 2015 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates New York
Officer Careers & Specialities in the
Five Branches of the US Military
- Lewis County Website
- Natural Lewis County
- Empire State Development
- New York State Economic Development Council
- Jefferson County Economic Development
- Civil Service Exam Announcements (County Level)
- Civil Service Exam Announcements (State Level)
- Civil Service Exam Announcements (City Level)