About This Cluster
If you are interested in shaping the future of your city, state and country, the Government and Public Administration Career Cluster may be for you. Though there are some areas that are unique to military service, virtually every occupation can be found within government.
Careers in Government and Public Administration Career Cluster are in a variety of different work environments from “responsible for making and executing public policy,” to “maintaining a strong National Security which encompasses such diverse activities as running a hospital, commanding a tank, programming computers, operating a nuclear reactor, or repairing and maintaining a helicopter” to “serving in embassies, consulates and other diplomatic missions,” to “to “ensuring that governments obtain revenues from businesses and citizens by collecting tax dollars, reviewing tax returns, conducting audits, monitoring taxes payable and collecting overdue tax dollars.” These are four out of the seven areas in this field. Government and Public Administration is a tough field to be in but in return, you get a rewarding career that offers incredible variety, provides plenty of opportunities to pursue the specialties that interest you.
Government & Public Administration. (n.d.). Retrieved November 14, 2016, from https://careertech.org/government
Skills and Interests
- Helpful Traits
- Good With Numbers
- Enjoy Speaking in Public and in Large Groups
- A Good Listener
- Lots of Patience
- Communication Skills
- Good Reasoning Skills
- Skills and Studies
- Example: County Manager
- Reading all kinds of different reports.
- Writing and doing presentations.
- Math and being comfortable with numbers.
- Ability to think through problems.
- Be a Leader.
- Example: County Manager
Northern New York Community Foundation Scholarships
Applications for academic year 2020-2021 Freshman Scholarships will be accepted through Wednesday, April 15, 2020. Applications for academic year 2020-2021 Nontraditional Scholarships are accepted through Monday, June 1, 2020.
Since 1980, the Northern New York Community Foundation has awarded more than $18 million in scholarships to students from Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence counties.
The Community Foundation annually awards scholarships to:
- High school seniors for their freshman year in college or technical school. Full-time enrollment is required for a one-year award.
- High school juniors in St. Lawrence County who will plan to pursue careers in STEM-related fields (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) are encouraged to apply for a one-year award.
- Nontraditional students for any year of college or vocational, trade and technical school are also available. Part-time or full-time enrollment is required, and applicants must live in Jefferson, Lewis or St. Lawrence county. Applicants may reapply each year.
Scholarships, which can average up to $2,000, are available from three programs the Community Foundation administers:
- Northern New York Community Foundation Scholarships — Awarded to students in liberal arts.
- Herring College Memorial Scholarships — Awarded to students in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and related fields.
- Visiting Nurse Association Scholarships — Awarded to students in nursing and health-related fields.
The Community Foundation also stewards more than 300 restricted scholarships through funds that individual donors have established.
Career and Technical Education Programs:
St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES:
Local College / University Majors:
- Public Administration (MPA) (Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy @ University of Albany)
- Public Administration (MPA) (Buffalo State)
- Accounting A.A.S. (Jefferson Community College)
- Accounting A.S. (Jefferson Community College)
- Accounting B.S. (SUNY Plattsburgh)
- Accounting (Syracuse University)
- Finance B.S. (SUNY Oswego)
- Finance B.B.A. (SUNY Canton)
- Public Administration and Public Policy (SUNY Cortland)
- Public Administration Studies A.A.S. (Hudson Valley Community College)
- International Relations B.S. (Buffalo State)
- International Relations B.S. (SUNY Geneseo)
- International Relations B.S. (SUNY New Paltz)
- Political Science B.S. (SUNY Albany)
- Political Science B.S. (Buffalo State)
- Political Science B.S. (SUNY Oswego)
- Political Science B.S. (SUNY Potsdam)
- Political Science B.S. (SUNY Stony Brook)
- Chief Executives
- Mean Annual Salary: $185,850
- Mean Annual Salary: $42,530
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Mean Annual Salary: $118,050
- Tax Examiners and Collectors
- Mean Annual Salary: $57,280
- May 2015 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates New York
Officer Careers & Specialities in the
Five Branches of the US Military
- Lewis County Website
- Natural Lewis County
- Empire State Development
- New York State Economic Development Council
- Jefferson County Economic Development
- Civil Service Exam Announcements (County Level)
- Civil Service Exam Announcements (State Level)
- Civil Service Exam Announcements (City Level)
- National Security
- Public Management and Administration
- Revenue and Taxation