About This Cluster
A career in Hospitality and Tourism is perfect for a person who is ready for a physical challenge. This is an industry that is looking for people that have a huge diversity of skills that range from being to resolve conflicts to satisfy hospitality and tourism staff, guests/ customers and others to utilizing marketing techniques to sell hospitality and tourism products and services. The potential for growth for a worker in the hospitality and tourism industry is very good compared to other Industries.
Each job comes with unique working conditions; from the front office manager of a busy downtown hotel, to a trainer of a busy coastal resort in Florida, to being a gaming & casino dealer in Las Vegas. While the different seasons can have a major effect on the size of crowds, in return you get a rewarding career that offers you the incredible opportunity to see the world, and provides plenty of opportunities to pursue the specialties that interest you.
Skills and Interests
- Problem-Solving and Critical Thinking– Use principles of budgeting and forecasting to maximize profit and growth for hospitality and tourism establishments. Apply forecasting skills to identify potential cost and profit. Apply budgeting skills to determine staffing levels for hospitality and tourism organizations.
- Systems–Manage and improve organizational systems used in hospitality and tourism to more effectively serve customers. Identify and compare services and products from related industries to understand how they affect hospitality and tourism product and services.
- Safety, Health and Environmental– Maintain safe and healthful working conditions and environment in order to promote well-being in hospitality and tourism workplaces. Conduct work tasks in accordance with employee rights and responsibilities and employers’ obligations concerning occupational safety and health in order to promote safe and healthful working conditions in hospitality and tourism industries.
- Leadership and Teamwork– Resolve conflicts to satisfy hospitality and tourism staff, guests/customers and others.
- Ethics and Legal Responsibilities– Review ethical and legal responsibilities of hospitality and tourism businesses to understand their implications on guest/customer and employee conduct. Examine professional and workplace ethics and legal responsibilities to develop guidelines for conduct in hospitality and tourism industries.
- Like the Profession of Director of Marketing and Advertising (Check Out Marketing)
- Like the Profession of Transportation Specialist and Motor Coach Operator (Check Out Transportation, Distribution & Logistics)
- Like the Profession of Museums/Zoo/Aquariums Docent and Animal Trainer and Handler (Check Out Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources )
Northern New York Community Foundation Scholarships
Applications for academic year 2020-2021 Freshman Scholarships will be accepted through Wednesday, April 15, 2020. Applications for academic year 2020-2021 Nontraditional Scholarships are accepted through Monday, June 1, 2020.
Since 1980, the Northern New York Community Foundation has awarded more than $18 million in scholarships to students from Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence counties.
The Community Foundation annually awards scholarships to:
- High school seniors for their freshman year in college or technical school. Full-time enrollment is required for a one-year award.
- High school juniors in St. Lawrence County who will plan to pursue careers in STEM-related fields (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) are encouraged to apply for a one-year award.
- Nontraditional students for any year of college or vocational, trade and technical school are also available. Part-time or full-time enrollment is required, and applicants must live in Jefferson, Lewis or St. Lawrence county. Applicants may reapply each year.
Scholarships, which can average up to $2,000, are available from three programs the Community Foundation administers:
- Northern New York Community Foundation Scholarships — Awarded to students in liberal arts.
- Herring College Memorial Scholarships — Awarded to students in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and related fields.
- Visiting Nurse Association Scholarships — Awarded to students in nursing and health-related fields.
The Community Foundation also stewards more than 300 restricted scholarships through funds that individual donors have established.
St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES:
Local College / University Majors:
- Hotel & Restaurant Management (Niagara University)
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Winery Management and Marketing Concentration (Jefferson Community College)
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Hotel/Restaurant Management Concentration (Jefferson Community College)
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Culinary Arts Concentration (Jefferson Community College)
- Hospitality Management (A.A.S.)) (Onondaga Community College)
- Culinary Arts Management (B.B.A.)(SUNY Cobleskill)
- Culinary Arts Management (A.O.S.)(SUNY Cobleskill)
- Restaurant Management (A.A.S.)(SUNY Cobleskill)
- Culinary Arts (A.D.)(Culinary Institute of America)
- Baking and Pastry Arts (A.D.) (Culinary Institute of America)
- Culinary Arts Management (B.D.) (Culinary Institute of America)
- Culinary Arts (The Art Institute of Pittsburgh)
- Culinary Management (The Art Institute of Pittsburgh)
- Hospitality Management – Restaurant & Hotel Services (A.A.S.) (Bryant & Stratton College)
- Restaurant & Hotel Management (A.O.S.) (Bryant & Stratton College)
- Culinary Arts (A.O.S.) (Alfred State)
The New York State Department of Labor reports that the mean hourly wage for workers in the Hospitality and Tourism industry in New York State is $17.85 per hour and $27,082 annually. Wages differ for each type of job in this industry; in general, the management positions are more technical or require more skills (therefore require more training) have higher wages. Listed below are a few examples of careers in this cluster: • Lodging Managers -$46,810 per year -$22.50 per hour • Gaming Services Occupations -$20,210 per year -$9.71 per hour • Security Guards and gaming surveillance officers -$24,020 per year -$11.55 per hour
- New York State Hospitality & Tourism Association
- I Love New York
- American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute
- American Culinary Federation
- International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP)
- Recreation, Amusements & Attractions
- Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services
- Travel & Tourism