About This Cluster
Marketing is the promotion and selling of products or services. Marketing includes not only the design of advertising campaigns, but market research into target audience and promotion effectiveness as well. If you’re an artistic person, Marketing offers the opportunity to be very creative and work across many platforms, from television to print to digital and social media. If you’re more analytical, you can put your deductive skills to use by gathering, tracking, and analyzing various kinds of data.
Skills and Interests
|Reading Comprehension||Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.|
|Active Listening||Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.|
|Speaking||Talking to others to convey information effectively.|
|Critical Thinking||Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.|
|Active Learning||Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.|
|Social Perceptiveness||Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.|
|Monitoring||Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.|
|Persuasion||Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.|
|Judgment and Decision Making||Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.|
|Negotiation||Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.|
|Complex Problem Solving||Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.|
|Coordination||Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.|
|Systems Evaluation||Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.|
|Time Management||Managing one’s own time and the time of others.|
|Operations Analysis||Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.|
|Management of Personnel Resources||Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.|
|Writing||Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.|
|Systems Analysis||Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.|
|Learning Strategies||Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.|
|Service Orientation||Actively looking for ways to help people.|
|Instructing||Teaching others how to do something.|
|Enterprising||Enterprising occupations frequently involve starting up and carrying out projects. These occupations can involve leading people and making many decisions. Sometimes they require risk taking and often deal with business.|
|Conventional||Conventional occupations frequently involve following set procedures and routines. These occupations can include working with data and details more than with ideas. Usually there is a clear line of authority to follow.|
Northern New York Community Foundation Scholarships
Since 1980, the Foundation has awarded more than $14.5 million dollars in scholarships to students of Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence counties.
The Northern New York Community Foundation annually awards scholarships to
- high school seniors for their freshman year in college or technical school (Full-time enrollment required – this is a one year award.)
- and non-traditional students for any year in college or technical school. (Part-time and full-time enrollment available) Applicants must reside in Jefferson, Lewis or St. Lawrence counties – applicants may re-apply each year.
- High school juniors who will be studying STEM related careers (available ONLY to high school juniors in St. Lawrence County – this is a one year award.)
Application packets are available in February each year, and can be downloaded at that time as a PDF (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader ). Application packets will also be available through high school guidance counselors or at the Community Foundation office. Completed packets must be returned to the Foundation by April 1, by mail or hand delivered. They may not be submitted by e-mail.
- A complete listing of all scholarships offered by the Foundation is available here. Applications can be found here.
- All applications must be returned to NNYCF, or postmarked by April 15,2018
- Applications are to be submitted to the NNYCF office as a packet. Please refer to the cover page of the application for "packet" requirements.
- NNYCF offer non-traditional scholarships to students in Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence Counties. However, non-traditional students are individuals who have had a break in their academic studies, or are forced to change careers and are returning to college to pursue and additional degree. High school seniors should NOT be completing a non-traditional application. The application deadline for non-traditional students is June 1, 2018
www.canton.edu State University of New York at Canton
Northern New York’s two and four-year college for technology, health, management and public service.
Local College / University Majors:
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at Brockport
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at Fredonia
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at New Paltz
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at Old Westbury
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at Oswego
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at Plattsburgh
- Marketing (A.S.) State University College at Alfred State
- Marketing (A.S.) College of Technology at Delhi
- Marketing (A.S.) Finger Lakes Community College
- Marketing (A.S.) Herkimer County Community College
- Marketing (A.S.) Orange County Community College
- Management, Marketing and Entrepreneurship (A.S.) Adirondack Community College
- Entrepreneurship (B.S.) State University college at Plattsburgh
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Winery Management and Marketing Concentration (Jefferson Community College)
- Winery Management and Marketing Certificate (Jefferson Community College)