About This Cluster
Marketing is the promotion and selling of products or services. Marketing includes not only the design of advertising campaigns, but market research into target audience and promotion effectiveness as well. If you’re an artistic person, Marketing offers the opportunity to be very creative and work across many platforms, from television to print to digital and social media. If you’re more analytical, you can put your deductive skills to use by gathering, tracking, and analyzing various kinds of data.
Skills and Interests
|Reading Comprehension||Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.|
|Active Listening||Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.|
|Speaking||Talking to others to convey information effectively.|
|Critical Thinking||Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.|
|Active Learning||Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.|
|Social Perceptiveness||Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.|
|Monitoring||Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.|
|Persuasion||Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.|
|Judgment and Decision Making||Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.|
|Negotiation||Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.|
|Complex Problem Solving||Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.|
|Coordination||Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.|
|Systems Evaluation||Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.|
|Time Management||Managing one’s own time and the time of others.|
|Operations Analysis||Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.|
|Management of Personnel Resources||Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.|
|Writing||Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.|
|Systems Analysis||Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.|
|Learning Strategies||Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.|
|Service Orientation||Actively looking for ways to help people.|
|Instructing||Teaching others how to do something.|
|Enterprising||Enterprising occupations frequently involve starting up and carrying out projects. These occupations can involve leading people and making many decisions. Sometimes they require risk taking and often deal with business.|
|Conventional||Conventional occupations frequently involve following set procedures and routines. These occupations can include working with data and details more than with ideas. Usually there is a clear line of authority to follow.|
Northern New York Community Foundation Scholarships
Applications for academic year 2020-2021 Freshman Scholarships will be accepted through Wednesday, April 15, 2020. Applications for academic year 2020-2021 Nontraditional Scholarships are accepted through Monday, June 1, 2020.
Since 1980, the Northern New York Community Foundation has awarded more than $18 million in scholarships to students from Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence counties.
The Community Foundation annually awards scholarships to:
- High school seniors for their freshman year in college or technical school. Full-time enrollment is required for a one-year award.
- High school juniors in St. Lawrence County who will plan to pursue careers in STEM-related fields (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) are encouraged to apply for a one-year award.
- Nontraditional students for any year of college or vocational, trade and technical school are also available. Part-time or full-time enrollment is required, and applicants must live in Jefferson, Lewis or St. Lawrence county. Applicants may reapply each year.
Scholarships, which can average up to $2,000, are available from three programs the Community Foundation administers:
- Northern New York Community Foundation Scholarships — Awarded to students in liberal arts.
- Herring College Memorial Scholarships — Awarded to students in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and related fields.
- Visiting Nurse Association Scholarships — Awarded to students in nursing and health-related fields.
The Community Foundation also stewards more than 300 restricted scholarships through funds that individual donors have established.
www.canton.edu State University of New York at Canton
Northern New York’s two and four-year college for technology, health, management and public service.
Local College / University Majors:
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at Brockport
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at Fredonia
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at New Paltz
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at Old Westbury
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at Oswego
- Marketing (B.S.) State University College at Plattsburgh
- Marketing (A.S.) State University College at Alfred State
- Marketing (A.A.S.) College of Technology at Delhi
- Marketing (A.S.) Finger Lakes Community College
- Marketing (A.S.) Herkimer County Community College
- Marketing (A.S.) Orange County Community College
- Management, Marketing and Entrepreneurship (A.S.) Adirondack Community College
- Entrepreneurship (B.S.) State University college at Plattsburgh
- Hospitality and Tourism A.A.S. Winery Management and Marketing Concentration (Jefferson Community College)
- Winery Management and Marketing Certificate (Jefferson Community College)